Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Reality Check!

Life has been crazy busy for the past couple weeks! It's that rush to the end of the school year, teachers trying to cram their students brains full of everything they didn't have time for. This year seems especially busy and exciting, probably because each day brings me closer to my dream of Morocco! Since I last wrote, I went to my first wedding ever, which was extremely exciting! I enjoyed the wedding from start to finish, all the delicious food, great music, and happy people! Congrats Beth & Ernie! I'm hoping to go to a Moroccan wedding so now I have something to compare it to, if I get the chance to go!
Last Thursday, my Peace Jam club had our banquet at an Indian restaurant. A night of Indian cuisine and laughter with my Peace Jam friends made me very happy! I can't imagine what this year would have looked like without our weekly meetings to look forward too, and it makes me sad to think that most of them will have graduated when I come home from Morocco. We also watched Half the Sky, a documentary about turning oppression into opportunity for women worldwide. Definitely inspiring well worth the watch! Check it out here! 
On Sunday I headed over to Ann Arbor for a soccer game and walk around the University of Michigan. School session ended a couple weeks ago, so there weren't many students around, but I'm glad I got a chance to look at the campus. Because I won't be here for junior year, I'm trying to get in college visits before it's too late. Plus college visits are always fun and exciting. The size of Michigan intimidates me a bit, but the Honors Program and other Learning Communities seem like they could be a good fit for me. I'm impressed with how many languages they offer! Not just your typical French, Spanish, and Arabic...you can brush up on your Urdu or Woolof, among many other lesser taught languages. 
I received my long awaited 45 page pre departure handbook for Morocco! Reading all the little cultural tidbits renewed my excitement for Morocco. Not that it ever really faded but this made me realize that this is actually happening! I'm almost three months out from departure and that feels like a long time but it's not! I'll be in Rabat before I know it! 
I gave a presentation at international club today, I think it went well and I hope some of my peers will decide to apply to YES! I'm the only person from Michigan on YES this year, and I'm making it my mission to get more Michiganders involved in YES and other state department funded exchanges. Because it's AWESOME!! 
I also had my final day of assistant coaching for Girls on the Run Practice (GOTR). Girls on the Run is a program for 3-5th grade girls. It teaches self esteem and positive life skills through running and culminates in a 5K run. We did our community service project--making cupcakes and cards for the birthday parties held at our local homeless shelter. Like anything with GOTR, it was a blast. I've so enjoyed the past ten weeks of coaching, watching the girls grow and gain skills that will benefit them for years to come. I'm so proud of all of my Girls on the Run! 
The end of school feels closer each day. I love seeing the countdown in the hall telling me how many days are left. On one hand, I am bubbling over with excitement for summer, PDO, and departure, but on the other I know I will miss my friends and this place. I'm trying to balance both emotions but the excitement for school to end overpowers my other emotions (for now). Who knows what the next few weeks will bring though? All these endings are giving me a series of much needed reality checks, reminding me to slow down and enjoy the present moment, because it can be just as beautiful as any moment in Morocco. The biggest reality check was my realization that I only have two more English classes left. I love my English class (true confession of a nerd) and the English program I have been enrolled in for the past two years. I've had three amazing, inspiring teachers and expanded my world view and writing abilities in numerous ways. Though I've grumbled about the papers I've had to write, I really have enjoyed my classmates, teachers, and the material we've covered. I'm going to miss everything about it (except maybe the AP practice tests). 
Well, that's all for now! I'm sure more hectic-ness will ensue in the next couple days! Until next time, enjoy this picture of BEAUTIFUL RABAT MY NEW HOME!! 


1 comment:

  1. Love you darlin! SO GLAD you were able to attend the wedding! For the record, you three were the best kids to babysit EVER ;)

    ReplyDelete