Saturday, May 11, 2013

Doors of Morocco

After finding out about Morocco, running around my house, and calling everyone I knew, I sat down at the computer and entered "Morocco" into a Google image search. In a quarter of a second, Google called up endless pages of images--displaying maps of North Africa, drawings of flags bearing a single green star, snapshots of medinas full of carpets, and pictures of Moroccan homes, office buildings, and mosques. The search also linked me to portraits of Moroccan doors, many of which display beautiful mosaics and carvings.
 
 It's in Rabat and apparently the blue color keeps away the mosquitoes? Anyways if that's the case I have one more reason to paint my future home this color (as if I need one, I love this color!)

These doors are in front of the Hassan 2 Mosque in Casablanca, the largest in Morocco and one of the few that non Muslims can enter for tours. It was commissioned by the King in memory of his father to be the most ambitious structure in Morocco. 

Doors at the Palais de Roi (King's Palace) in Rabat!

In the Medina of Rabat. (The medina is the old city)

Beautiful! 

This is a door on a mosque in Rabat. 

Not sure where this is but I love the pastel colors and pattern. I have never seen such intricate doors before! 

This door is in Chellah, Rabat. Chellah is a complex of Roman ruins. 

Not sure what the symbols stand for. 

These are in Rabat as well!! 

Another shot of Rabat. 


I can't wait to take my own pictures of Moroccan doors and of everything next year! Thank you Pinterest and Google for helping me to find these pictures! 

No comments:

Post a Comment