Monday, September 2, 2013

Au Maroc

I made it to Morocco! As our plane crossed the Strait of Gibraltar, I peered across my neighbors to see a glimpse of my new home. By the time we finally landed in Casablanca, darkness had already set in. And although we couldn't see all the buildings or streets as our tiny bus wove through the crazy world of Moroccan driving, some thing were undoubtedly already different. Palm trees lined the roads and young men on motorcycles shot through the lanes of traffic. Others had hitched free rides on the back of buses. I quickly fell asleep but awoke as we entered Rabat! One thing I noticed right away is the variety of clothing--women in djellabas and caftans as well as miniskirts and skinny jeans and everything in between. The language mirrors the diversity of clothing. From the start of our Royal Air Maroc flight, all the announcements had to be made in 3 languages! I am spending the day with our coordinator Sarah (who very sweetly left us a package of goodies in our hotel room) before moving in with my family tonight. It's so great to be here and actually see what I have dreamed of for so long! Here's a picture out my window sorry its bad quality! 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Catherine,

    We are so happy to hear that you arrived safely. This is so cool. Thanks to you I'm going to be learning all about north Africa. Can't wait to keep reading about your adventure!

    Love, Alice and Mary

    ReplyDelete