Friday, September 6, 2013

The Little Things

I thought I'd make a list of observations, little things that surprised me at first about Morocco, because it's fun to appreciate the small differences. 

1. Cats are everywhere and I've only seen one dog in the neighborhood
2. Cafe culture--going to a cafe is an implied part of running errands, going out with friends, etc. 
3. Dinner is served very late at night and Moroccan families seem to stay awake until all hours and nap frequently. 
4. There isn't a standard system for sidewalks, this they are liable to drop off/slope at random moments. Also people park on sidewalks here. 
5. Each street has at least one if not more hanoots. Hanoots are tiny stores, typically with just one room, and they are filled to the brim with snacks, drinks, and other on the go goods. 
6. Moroccan sofas are different at least in my home. It's a bench of sorts with a thick cushion and pillows to sit against.
7. The TV is almost always on. If it's not someone is probably going to turn it on momentarily. But conversation still flows despite the TV. 
8. In my family, we wear flip flops on tile and no shoes on carpet. It's not a big deal if I forget but I've noticed that's what my family does.
9. Windows don't have screens here. 
10. The McDonalds is the cool place to hang out and it's much nicer here than back home (at least when compared to the McDonalds in my town). They sell a McBaguette and some different items, and all the food is Halal. McDonalds smells the same though--some things never change. 
With love from Rabat! 


1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete