Thursday, August 1, 2013

The Countdown Continues & A Pre Departure Playlist

One month from today I will arrive in Rabat, Morocco, exhausted, excited, and nervous. I can't wait to take in everything I've seen pictures of, meet my host family, and start exploring.

In a month's time, I'll have left behind the only place I've ever called home, to carve out a new home. I will have left my best friends, in pursuit of new relationships. My school, my jobs, my favorite stores and coffee shops will all be behind me. And in front of me will be my year abroad. It's very overwhelming and very exciting.

Between now and then, I'll be studying Arabic and French, packing my suitcases, and of course, saying my goodbyes.  In years past (perhaps because of the recession), many of my friends and their families have moved away from Michigan. I've attended and planned several going away parties and now the going away party is mine. (Thank you Kathleen, I can't wait!) Though my move is a little different--it's very temporary, without my family, and something I've thought about a long time--it's now my turn to say goodbye.

During the YES Abroad application process, we were asked to demonstrate a time we showed flexibility. I think flexibility is a life skill that we tend to under value. We're mainly taught that if we don't like something, we should change it. But occasionally, something happens that's out of our control, something that we cannot change. Whatever the circumstance, we must accept the situation and adapt to it, which is much easier said than done. I was reminded of the importance of flexibility, particularly on exchange, when I received a new host family a few weeks ago. I'm very excited to meet my host parents, my host brother (age 27) and my host sister (age 15). Hopefully, I will remember to be adaptable throughout my year abroad.

Lately I've been listening to some travel themed music. Here are the songs from my pre departure playlist:

Home (Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes)
Sweet Dreams (Eurythmics)
Born to Run (Bruce Springsteen)
Leaving on a Jet Plane (John Denver)
I'm Gonna Be (The Proclaimers)
Wagon Wheel (Old Crow Medicine Show)
Across the Universe (the Beatles)
Marrakesh Express (Crosby, Stills, and Nash)
The World at Large (Modest Mouse)
Taking the Long Way Around (Dixie Chicks)


Instruments in the Medina in Marrakesh, Morocco!


Thanks for reading! Ma'a salaama :)









1 comment:

  1. Hi Catherine! My name is Amanda, and I'm the editor of a new community magazine coming to Portage in October - we focus on Portage events, places and people. Your trip sounds awesome and I'd love to do an interview with you about it before you leave! If you get a chance in the next week, you can shoot me an email at amanda.mahnke@hibu.com and we can go from there. :) Thanks, and happy travels. -- Amanda

    ReplyDelete