Sunday, April 14, 2013

Morocco Bucket List

In the next four months before I leave home, I want to enjoy my hometown, quirks in all, as much as I can. Though I'm certainly excited to leave, I know I will miss this place next year! More importantly, while I'm abroad, I want to Carpe Diem. I guess you could say YOMO--You Only Morocco Once, and it's true! I want to soak up as much as possible from this experience and I want to take advantage of all the opportunities I am offered while on exchange. So these are my bucket lists.
Before I Leave Home:
1. Stargaze (YES!)
2. Go to a concert (One of my favorite bands is coming in late June!)
3. Go to the beach (Lake Michigan is beautiful)
4. Start driving again. (I have an irrational fear of driving, which I need to get over!)
5. Get a job (I can check this off--I'm working at the summer camps held at my high school! )
6. Have a going away party. (I'm going to miss everyone so much!)
7. Go to the used book store next to my high school and the cafe there. (I've been meaning to do that for a while)
8. Try not to let the sophomore slump get to you (Not likely but it's worth a try)
9. Write letters to my family. (Leave them in our house before I go to Morocco).
10. Study French. (Possibly go live in Quebec with my distant cousins to practice).
11. See The Five Founders (my best friends from camp who live in St. Louis and Chicago).
12. Learn some Arabic (This is going to be a challenge).
13. Spend time outside. (Running, biking, swimming)
14. Buy Morocco appropriate clothes. (I'm not sure what that means but it shouldn't be hard. I love shopping).
15. Fast during Ramadan to learn what it's like. (I will not be in Morocco for Ramadan so I want a taste of what it's like).
16. Make a scrapbook of life here for my host family. (I just started)

In Morocco:
1. Make good friends with my fellow YES finalists (They're all pretty awesome so I don't think I'll have any trouble).
2. Go to a mosque. (I'm excited for this!)
3. Go to the souk and learn how to bargain. (Gotta work on Arabic for this)
4. Do some volunteer work. (I've heard I might be able to teach English! That'd be cool!)
5. Share American traditions. (Including Halloween and Thanksgiving).
6. Keep up this blog. (I may or may not have Internet)
7. Explore my neighborhood (So excited!!)
8. Develop Moroccan fashion sense. (Harem pants!)
9. Learn about Moroccan politics and government. (I don't know much right now).
10. Learn about the Berber people (I'm very interested in this).
11. Send letters home. (I love snail mail).
12. Learn French fluently. (!!!)
13. Learn conversational Arabic to the best of your abilities. (marhaba!)
14. Explore other parts of Morocco. (We'll take trips during the year!)
15. Keep in touch with the YES scholars worldwide. (Love them!)
16. Learn the public transportation system. (I am so excited about this!)
17. Visit the important museums and landmarks. (I know I'll do this)
18. Take tons of pictures. (Ahhh!!)
19. Go to a hamman. (a type of bath in Morocco)
20. Get Moroccan henna. (I love henna!)
21. Wear hijab at least once and learn to tie it. (I've always wondered what it's like)
22. Take advantage of each day (This one's the hardest but the most important).
23. Get homesick. (It'll happen)
24. Get over it. (I'm sure I will)
25. Keep up with my journal. (I'll have so much to write about!)
26. Learn a new sport/type of dance. (maybe Moroccan dance!)
27. Learn to cook Moroccan food. (YUM!)
28. Go to a festival/holiday celebration! (!)


No comments:

Post a Comment