Sunday, April 14, 2013

Why I love YES Abroad and You Should Too

One of my goals for this year is to spread the word in my communities about the Kennedy Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (YES). I love the YES Abroad program, not only for giving me my scholarship, but also for the work they did around the globe to increase cross cultural understanding. I am so honored to be part of a global network of people working for change in US-Muslim world relations. Every time I meet an exchange student or someone from another culture or lifestyle, I am reminded that borders are superficial boundaries, and that we are one humanity, despite our differences. I love this program!

The YES program was founded after 9/11 to increase understanding between the U.S. and predominantly Muslim countries. Initially, it only brought students from around the world to live in the U.S. These students came from all the YES Abroad countries, but also from Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Iraq, Kosovo, and many other nations. These students positively benefited the communities they lived in by sharing their culture and religion, experiencing American life, and ultimately breaking down the stereotypes many Americans harbor about the Muslim world. However, once these students returned to their communities, their families and friends wondered why they, too, couldn't host exchange students from the U.S. In 2009, The YES Abroad program was founded as a reciprocal to this program. Along with my 64 fellow finalists (the biggest and best-est group in YES history), I will "serve as a youth ambassador, promoting mutual understanding by forming lasting relationships." I will live with a family, attend local high school, and engage in leadership activities to learn about my host family while sharing my own values.

YES Abroad will cover the costs associated with a year abroad. This includes airfare, orientations, cultural activities, school tuition, and a monthly stipend. YES Abroad is implemented by the YES consortium, which consists of American Councils, Amideast, and AFS. These organizations are on the ground in our host country, finding us host families and supporting us throughout the year. My implementer is Amideast (http://amideast.org/) They will orient me once I arrive in Morocco and provide me with Arabic/French classes!

As I've mentioned before and will undoubtedly do again, I LOVE YES ABROAD. I feel: empowered by fellow finalists and I am inspired by the enthusiasm we share for this experience, thankful to the YES program staff for all their hard work and for their dedication to this exchange, happy to know YES exists and will continue to exist for many years, comforted by all the good YES students are doing world wide and honored to be part of something bigger than myself. Today I attended a local Peace Jam Conference, and I met some YES students currently in the U.S. from Bangladesh, the Phillipines, Egypt and Kuwait. My fellow YES students shared my excitement for my journey, along with offering me some tidbits of advice and a few anecdotes about theirs. It reminded me that unlikely friendships such as these become possible because of the YES Abroad program! YES brings about interactions and conversations with people from around the world and forces us to remember how similar humans are, no matter what the circumstances! So thank you, YES Abroad!






No comments:

Post a Comment